22 March 2009

England men offer their congratulations

Alan Tyers, who writes side-splittingly good mock diaries of England team members for The Wisden Cricketer, has been at it again, this time writing under the guise of Charlotte Edwards, the World Cup winning England women’s captain.

"Andrew Strauss congratulated us on our most recent win, although he did say we should have batted on for another couple of hours to really make things safe. I tried to explain that it was a 50-over game but he just got impatient and said that he was sick of hearing how his team haven’t mastered the one-day format and changed the subject.

He asked me what positives I was taking from our recent performances. I just said “well, we won, so that, I guess…” but he said that was rather a one-dimensional view and that often the positives were more important than the result."

(The Corridor, 2009)

No comments: