5 July 2009

An open letter to the England selectors

To Geoff Miller, Ashley Giles, James Whitaker, Andy Flower and Andrew Strauss,

I've always been a big fan of you guys. Don't get me wrong; that's not to say I've agreed with all of your selectorial decisions but the majority of the time you're getting it spot on. If only they'd start repaying your faith in them, eh?

This Ashes business is a great time for cricket in this country. Success or at least a good fight and there could be a boom not seen since those heady days in 2005. People in this country are fickle when it comes to sport. Vis-รก-vis successful England equals public interest. Which we all know effectively means more money. Since the ECB is these days heavily reliant on economical income (shouldn't have got into bed with that Stanford bloke!), you'd say that this series represents a pretty big opportunity for English cricket.

As selectors, you gentlemen have a big responsibility for that, although ultimately the burden will fall on the players. Still, the choices you make will have a significant impact on the coming summer. Like I mentioned before, you generally get it correct. Picking Rashid for the World Twenty20? Inspired. Promoting Bopara up to number three against the Windies? A masterstroke. We'll discreetly skirt past that Pattinson nonsense from last year - everyone makes mistakes.

And, so to your most recent piece of work: the 13 man squad for the First Test at Cardiff on Wednesday. And, I have to say I think you've more or less done a good a job. I'm all for the squad consistency argument and I think that since Andy Flower took over, team selection has given players the best possible chance to settle into their positions.

I think the decision to leave out Steve Harmison is fully justified, although I'm a big fan of the Durham paceman. Yes, he roughed up the Australians at Worcester but we all know what he's like - one session he's a lethal Curtly Ambrose, the next he's a disinterested Saj Mahmood. He'll come to fruition at some point in the series (Edgbaston or The Oval, perhaps?) but I'm sure in your infinite wisdom that you know that already.

I've previously advocated the inclusion of Adil Rashid over Monty Panesar but again, I can see your train of thought. Panesar is the more experienced and to have played Rashid would surely be throwing him into the deepest end possible. Still, this brings me onto the point of this letter.

I know the media are playing up the notion that the pitch at the Swalec Stadium is going to provide more spin than Alistair Campbell and it must be tempting to pair up Graeme Swann and Panesar in tandem. But I implore you to select Graham Onions instead and play four seamers. And, lest you question, I have my reasons.

I'm not Panesar's biggest fan, admittedly. I find his childish appealing to be, well, childish and the monotony and general uniformity of his bowling leaves me distinctively underwhelmed. The prospect of him churning out a 42 over spell leaving him with 2-140 as the Aussies pile up 560 in the first innings is not one I want to be realising come this week. And, it's not as if the conditions will definitely make him a more potent bowler. Remember that last innings in Chennai last December? Or how about Colombo the year before that? Ideal spinning conditions both times and precious little from Monty.

I'm not saying for a second that Monty's England hurrah is over, not by a long shot. But I question whether he's ready to face the Australians in this current stage of his career.

Onions is untested and inexperienced, yes. It's all well and good doing it at county level and against a shockingly poor West Indies side - the Australians are a different prospect althogether. But the impact he made a few months ago on debut was indicative of his talent. It wasn't just a flash in the pan (excuse the pun). I feel that he has the resources to make life difficult for the tourists and I'd much rather seen him play than Panesar because of the balanced nature his inclusion would bring to the attack.

Consider this: Anderson - swings it late both ways and at high pace. Broad - useful seam movement and can provide pace and bounce with his additional height. Flintoff - raw pace, plus an expert at utilising reverse swing. Swann - lethal to left-handers, bowls an attacking line to right-handers and can vary his pace intelligently. Add Onions, with his wicket-to-wicket style bowling and nagging accuracy and you have the make-up of a fine attack.

I think one spinner will be enough. Swann has shown his capability to flourish as a lone spinner and will be relishing the challenge. I genuinely feel that Panesar doesn't have the tools necessary to really threaten and if the Aussies get set then he isn't the bowler to break their rhythm.

I know you'll make the right call come Wednesday morning and whichever way you decide to go you'll, as always, have my full support. But do ensure that you consider every variable when choosing and don't be swayed by Panesar's high-fiving, back-slapping 3-10 against Warwickshire - tougher challenges await. Best of luck, chaps.

Regards,

The Last Word

No comments: